Busy boxes for kids are so fun to make! Perfect for those times when mom or dad needs a little break. Kids can work independently on their busy boxes. Keep reading for busy box ideas and get free busy box labels to make your own at home.
Why you will love Busy Boxes
Kids love busy boxes for many reasons. One, they are fun and provide hours of entertainment and hands-on learning. Parents love them because it allows their children to participate in activities that not only keep them busy but provide parents with a bit of a break from entertaining the kids. Independent play is important and these quiet boxes prove that kids can play alone from time-to-time.
- Storage Bins – I prefer these because they fit coloring books, most small toys, and more! They are clear so I can see what is inside them at first glance.
- Tape – tape the daily labels on the front of the bins with this if you prefer to stay organized.
- Paper Trimmer – This helps me cut the labels straight. Scissors also work if you have a steady hand.
- White Paper or Cardstock – I find cardstock paper looks best and makes the colors really pop!
- Busy Box Daily Printables – (get download by entering your email below or visiting my shop)
- Fun toys, workbooks, supplies for inside the boxes – See below for ideas. I love to shop at the Dollar Store or Target Dollar Spot for budget-friendly items.
- Download, print, and cut daily labels for box covers.
- Open boxes and fill each box with different activities for kids. Feel it randomly or make themes out of each box.
- Store boxes and play with them at any time.
Busy Box Ideas
Since spring break is a week and we are at home I made a box for each day. Each box is filled with non-technology toys that kids love to play with.
Monday Busy Box Theme – Hands on play and building
Tuesday Busy Box Theme – Nature and outdoor play
Wednesday Busy Box Them – Games and Workbooks
Thursday Busy Box Theme – Art
Friday Busy Box theme idea: Puzzles and problem solving
Items included: Age appropriate puzzles
Hide the busy boxes to add an element of surprise! Each day bring the busy box out to surprise your kids.
What age group are busy boxes geared towards?
These boxes were made for ages 3-8 years old. Busy boxes
Can you use busy boxes for traveling?
Yes, these quiet boxes are so portable you can travel with them with no problem! I would keep the activities mess-free and include this Road Trip Bingo game.
More fun for kids
- Spring Boredom Buster Jar – 24 activities for kids
- Summer Bucket List – 101 ideas for family fun!
- 25 Science Experiments – easy and fun to do at home.
- 30 indoor activities for families – printable calendar included!
Get the Files
Enter your first name and email address below to get the free printable file. You’ll receive a PDF copy sent to your email shortly.
If you would not fill out the form, you can get a copy in my shop here.
The printable includes
- Busy Boxes Labels (4 pages)
If you do not immediately receive the email, make sure to check your promotions, spam, and junk folders!
These printables are for personal use only. Commercial use of these print files is prohibited! The actual files may NOT be shared, sold, given away, traded, or transferred to anyone else in any form.
Share on social!
Love this project? Please share with others and join me over on Pinterest for more family fun ideas.