Get in on the back-to-school fun with these free printable first-day-of-school signs. Now updated for the 2023-2024 school year. Have your child(ren) hold these signs in their first day of school photos. There’s no better way to celebrate such an important milestone. Grab our school sign pdf file that includes all grade levels including middle school and high school grade levels.
Get this printable for free below when you subscribe to our newsletter or shop our Ultimate Back to School Bundle. On sale for a limited time only.
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, Modern Mom Life LLC earns a small commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
Can you believe it’s the start of another school year? Time truly flies by as a parent. Soon it will be time to gather all the school supplies and wave them off to school. But before you do that, don’t forget to prepare for your first day of school photos! Our signs include a simple design with a chalkboard background.
We started taking the first day of school photos when my daughter started preschool. I will never forget her first day of preschool and her first day of kindergarten. I love to look back and see how excited both my kids are to start a new school year. It’s bittersweet to witness how much our kids change with each passing grade level. My kids have changed tremendously over the past year.
2023-2024 First Day of School signs
Whether your child is homeschooling, in person, or distance learning, a first-day photo is essential. It’s a right of passage and a fun school tradition. Here’s what you need to print your own signs at home and make your own first-day-of-school sign.
- White Paper or Cardstock – For best results and more durability, consider using cardstock paper.
- Picture frames – purchase multiple picture frames if you have more than one child going to school.
- Sign up below to receive a digital download file to make your own cute sign.
- Download and select which grades you would like to print. (Don’t print them all or you will run out of ink).
- Consider resizing the signs if they won’t fit into your frame. This design is the same as a regular letter piece of paper.
- Place in a frame (or simply have your kids hold the sign in front of them)
- Use the sign as a photo prop. Have your child hold them and smile big.
- Share your photos on social with family and friends. Have a great school year!
- Repeat when the school year ends with the printable Last Day of School Signs.
- Keep downloading cute first-day-of-school signs until your kid reaches his or her senior year. Congrats! Now grab some tissue paper to wipe those tears off your face.
More Back to School Printables
There are so many different ways to celebrate this time of year.
- Mom’s First Day of School Signs – Moms can celebrate the back-to-school season!
- First Day of Homeschool Signs – includes all grades.
- First and Last Day of School Questionnaires – interview your child and find out their favorite things.
- DIY Memory Box – organize your first-day photos, child’s school work, and memorabilia inside this handy box.
- Weekly Planner – Get everyone’s schedule on track in one place.
- Morning Routine Printable – Experience less chaos in the mornings.
Don’t forget to come back at the end of the year to compare your first and last day of school signs. It’s amazing how fast they grow and change. I experience bittersweet feelings every year. I am glad I have their photos to reference because this time is so precious and fleeting.
Get the free printables
It’s back to school time! Jumpstart the excitement and get the free printable signs by following these steps. First, enter your first name and email address in the form below to get the printable pdfs. You will receive an instant digital download and the file will be sent to your email address within minutes.
If you would not like to fill out the form, you can get access to the printable in my shop here. The PDF will include 16 pages including
- Free first-day-of-school signs for grades Pre-K through twelfth grade (12th grade).
If you do not immediately receive the email, make sure to check your promotions, spam, and junk folders!