Save money and join a no-spend challenge. Learn what a no spend challenge is about and find out 60 no spend ideas families love! This process is eye-opening and will change the way you spend money with the ultimate goal of eliminating impulse purchasing.
Sometimes we need a good challenge to motivate us to break a habit or start a new one. It can make mundane tasks feel more enjoyable. This simple no-spend challenge will help you save money over 30 days.
Even if you spend a few dollars here and there on things like coffee, take out or clothes, it can really add up long term. You will notice that by not spending money for a week you are saving a lot more funds than you think. Over a month of no spending, you will have even more money to put towards other areas that may need more attention such as paying down debt, savings, or a vacation fund.
What is a No Spend Challenge?
This challenge is fairly simple and can be as strict or flexible as you want it. A no-spend challenge is when you don’t spend money during a certain time frame determined ahead of time. Think of it as freezing your spending. Some people set an amount of time as short as the weekend and as long as a month. You can personalize the rules and goals to meet your own needs.
When is the best time to participate in a No Spend Challenge?
There is no right or wrong time to start. Most people try to not spend money right after the holidays, vacations, or an emergency situation. This challenge is a great way to jumpstart a savings account, pay off debt, or stop impulse spending.
Deciding how long to do a No Spend Challenge
Our No Spend Challenge covers 30 days; however, some find it easier to take baby steps and only cover a weekend or week. If you want to see success quickly and gain more confidence to go 30 days, start small and work your way up to a month of no spending.
- Weekend – Start small and open your eyes to any impulse purchases you may make.
- 1 Week – With a week you will notice where most of your money goes.
- 1 Month – This will take more disispline and focus. You will see more savings and establish more permenent postitive changes to your spending habits.
Rules can vary for a no-spend challenge. First, lock up the credit and debit cards.
- Utilities such as water, electric, and gas.
- Lawn care/pest control
Cut these items during a no-spend challenge
- Coffee and drinks
- Eating out at restaurants
- Home decor purchases
- Food delivery services
- Beauty purchases (hair/nails/makeup/facials)
- Anything that isn’t absolutely necessary.
Tips for Success
- Plan ahead and have a budget for your month’s cost. Factor in costs for extracurricular activities.
- Determine why you are doing this challenge in the first place. What is your why? This will help you stick to your financial goals. Stick it on a post it note and have it placed somewhere you will see it as a reminder to why you are doing this.
- Communicate to your family ahead of time and throughout the process. Get them on board and explain why you are doing this. Support from them will be crucial. Turn it into a fun family competition.
No Spend Challenge Ideas for the Family
Believe it or not, there is plenty of free family entertainment options available such as:
- Go on a bike ride
- Build a fort/den
- Bake cookies
- Play Battleship
- Have a Scavenger Hunt
- Make cookies
- Visit a free museum
- Go on a photo challenge walk
- Play a board game
- Learn a new skill
- Visit an art gallery
- Read together
- Have a movie marathon
What you need to get started
- Laminate the No Spend Tracker to use for future months. Use dry erase markers to write on a laminated sheet
- Holiday Shopping Planner – Plan ahead and budget for your holiday spending.
- Best Budget Planners – Stay on track throughout the year with these free planners.
Download the no spend challenge printable
Sign up to my email list below and grab your copy of the No Spend Tracker with ideas.
Your information is 100% secure and will never be shared with anyone. By signing up you’ll be added to my email list where I share resources weekly. You can unsubscribe at any time.
If you would not fill out the form to subscribe, you can purchase here.
If you do not immediately receive the email, make sure to check your promotions, spam, and junk folders!