A Parent’s no-panic guide to treating head lice
Head lice facts
Head lice can happen to anyone and do not discriminate. Did you know these head lice facts?
- The eggs, also called nits, are attached to the hair shaft with a super-glue-like substance secreted by the louse.
- Lice feed on the scalp every 3-6 hours. The most common symptom is an itchy scalp.
- Off the scalp, head lice rarely survive beyond 36 hours.
- Nits will die within 2 weeks if they are dislodged from the hair shaft and host.
- Pets do not get lice.
- Lice move quickly and shy away from light.
- Head lice can not fly or jump.
Head lice myths
There are several myths about head lice that I admittedly used to believe such as: